Thursday, December 25, 2014

Ting Davidson, violinist

Last year, Ting played for our Christmas Day Eucharist, which her family has attended for years. They live in the next county and often attend our midweek Eucharist, but I don't, so I rarely see them except for Christmas Day. I can remember Ting at the service as a young girl, perhaps twelve or thirteen, asking astute questions about the pipe organ. I knew that she was interested in music and that she is now studying at a major music school Out East, but until last year I had no idea that she has become such a fine Musician, not until she opened her violin case last Christmas Day and began playing whole-note scales to warm up. Her sound was like velvet, with brilliantly clear intonation and control. And that was just scales!

We played “O Holy Night” and probably another piece or two. It was by far the best part of my Christmas last year, better than any music I played at the organ.

Ting was back again today for the Christmas Day Eucharist, with her parents and this time her grandmother, visiting from Asia. She arrived an hour before the service, with plans to play three pieces: her arrangement “Emmanuel, among us” (based on Veni Emmanuel), “He shall feed his flock” from Messiah, and by my request, a reprise of “O Holy Night.”

We did not need more than a few minutes to rehearse, for everything fit together very well. But I did not want it to end; I commented between pieces that “I am really enjoying this;” she agreed. Having time to experiment, we moved two of the three pieces to the pipe organ; she said that she had never played with the organ before.

We finished the service with “O Holy Night,” the congregation staying to listen. When we were done, there was a silence that told us that the congregation knew that this moment was indeed holy. I am especially glad that her grandmother was present to hear it.

Last night's music went well. I hope to write of it soon and post a YouTube clip of the Bach Variations. But for today's most high Feast, the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, I would rather post this.

O Holy Night: Ting Davidson, violin


No comments: