Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hymnal Revision Study

This document has probably been online for a while, but I became aware of it only recently. Here is a link to the PDF file.

I wrote about this topic last summer: Here and Here
There was a 2009 resolution to conduct a feasibility study of a replacement for the Hymnal 1982. The Commission has determined that no, there will not at present be a new hymnal. Considering the content of the hymnal supplements beginning with "Wonder, Love and Praise," it is probably just as well – any new hymnal that our denomination would produce would likely be an embarrassment.

There is much about this report that is troubling. For example, by the use of "logistic regression" methods, they are able to predict whether specific music directors will favor a new hymnal by a list of demographic criteria (p. 34-35, especially Table 42). In other words, the reason I oppose a new hymnal is that:

- I am male
- I hold a graduate degree in music
- I am a member of the American Guild of Organists
- I have a high regard for the Hymnal 1940

So, why did they bother asking the question? All they needed to do is collect the demographic information. And in the end, the largest demographic wins. But in this matter, there is no clear demographic "winner," unless it is the two-to-one opposition to a new hymnal across all demographics by members of congregations (see below).

It was good to see that the younger generation supports traditional church music. Here is a comment from a 22-year old, quoted on page 57:
I think there is a huge assumption made that the younger generation wants guitar- and piano-based praise and worship music. ...What we want to hear in a Sunday Eucharist are the classic hymns played on organ. And occasionally we want to chant. Church is the one place where our musical taste is not based upon fad, but instead links us with a much more important, more elegant tradition. If I wanted to listen to acoustic guitar and piano, I'd pick up Dave Matthews or Ben Folds. If I wanted rap, I'd listen to Lil Wayne. ...For worship, I want music that connects to me a world outside of the ins and outs of my daily life.
This is congruent with what I see in our parish; it is the "baby boomers" who want praise and worship music in church services, although they often justify their wishes by saying "it will appeal to the young people."

It is heartening to see the opinions expressed about parish choirs: most members of congregations find the choir to be spiritually enriching, they enjoy listening to it, and think that the choir has a high level of musicianship (p. 43). There are a lot of hard-working, faithful Episcopal choirs across the country, in parishes large and small. It is good to see that their work is appreciated.

I am not alone in my disdain for the various Episcopal supplements (p. 39). While the Hymnal 1982 gets about a "4" rating (scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being "very satisfied with it"), none of the supplements manages even a neutral "3" rating.

The survey asked about the medium of presentation. It was good to see that "there was a marked indication that projection screens are disliked by many" (p. 60) - one comment was that "when I see a PowerPoint screen go up in the sanctuary... I am out of here" (p. 61).

Having read the report, I concur with their conclusion, and with the decision of General Convention to table this matter.

While among clergy and music directors, a plurality favor hymnal revision, sentiment among congregation members runs 2-to-1 against revision and there is no demographic category that is in favor... Even for those who do favor revision, an examination of their comments fails to point to a consistent direction that a revision would take. Perhaps most significantly, there is no pattern in which youth correlates with a particular movement towards new forms of musical expression. To revise the Hymnal must in some way be a project that is a gift to the next generation. Gaining some clearer sense of what the worship music of that generation will look like will require a longer and more careful period of discernment. (p. 65)

"... a gift to the next generation." I wish we could provide that for them. But we cannot. Perhaps the best we can do is to lay groundwork for the future.

No comments: