Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A chance encounter

This morning at about 6:45, I happened by a janitor who was mopping the concrete floor of the parking garage stairwell. He was whistling, and clearly enjoying his work.

It was the hymn tune Rockingham. In the Episcopal book, it is the tune for "When I survey the wondrous cross" plus a few other texts.

I didn't comment beyond wishing him a good day, because I didn't want to embarrass him. But it cheered my soul to know beyond any doubt, by his delight in the morning and by this tune that only a Christian would know, that he is my brother in Christ, doing his work as I hope that I can do mine today.
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (St. Matthew 5:14-16)

No comments: