Sunday, February 28, 2016

It is a start.

Here is the oldest item on my list of things to put on YouTube:
Lord, I want to be a Christian (Spiritual, arr. by Moses Hogan)
Choir of Trinity Episcopal Church, Iowa City: December 19, 2015
Artwork: Head of Christ (Rembrandt, 1652)

The choir sang this at the ordination of my friend Marcus H. in December.


And here is one from today: the Vater unser of Bach that occupied me so thoroughly the past couple of days; after all of my angst, it ended up going pretty well. The clip includes both the larger setting and the small, manuals-only setting. The latter is why I included the Joshua Reynolds painting as the last of the three. The Rembrandt in the middle of the three is my favorite, but the other two also have something important to say about Prayer and are worthy of pairing with the Bach.

J.S. Bach: Vater unser im Himmelreich (BWV 682 and 683)
Feb. 28, 2016

Artwork:
Prayer service at the farm in Ukraine (V. Makovsky, 1886)
Old Man in Prayer (Rembrandt)
The infant Samuel at prayer (Joshua Reynolds)

There are twelve more items on my list. Hopefully they will be forthcoming.

[Wow! That was quick. I posted the Vater unser only a few minutes ago, and I see that it has already drawn a [false] copyright infringement flag from the YouTube robots, before I could even finish writing this post.]

No comments: