Saturday, September 5, 2015

Hammered Dulcimer and miracles

I awoke early this morning with the thought that the Hammered Dulcimer could be an instrument for one of my young friends to learn. I did some “research” – that is, I spent about a half-hour on YouTube – and passed the results on to her mother.

But in the process, I was hooked.

This is one of those magical instruments which has always left me in awe of its beauty, quicksilver lightness, and grace. Here is a music video by Caleb Shetler that captures some of its spirit.

My favorite performer has always been John McCutcheon: here is one his videos.

For old times' sake, here is McCutcheon again, back in 1981, showing in the first half that he can also play the guitar. The second half is at the hammered dulcimer.

Back in those days, I was able to hear him in live performance several times, because he lived not far away in the mountains of Southwest Virginia.

Not only is the sound beautiful, but so are the instruments. And they are in a price range that I could afford. I spent some time looking at the websites of some builders. Oh, I want one of these!

And I could learn to play it. Here is the first of a series of instructional videos by Jess Dickinson
---------
Uh... when exactly will I do this? What will I have to neglect to do it? Is it not enough to play the organ? And the piano, with the chance to play that gorgeous Steinway in church every Sunday morning and as often as I can during the week?

That is the rub. I must focus on what I do, and not dream of going off on a tangent.
But I can enjoy the dulcimer and those who play it.

And after the morning's detour, it was a miracle of grace to go upstairs and open up the hundred-year-old Pilcher. Somehow, it was more beautiful in its ancient and venerable grace than before, this King of Instruments, this instrument of Bach and Franck and Messiaen, this instrument of Holy Mother Church and handmaiden of the Divine Liturgy.

And tomorrow, I hope to work with an ensemble yet more beautiful and gracious and precious in the sight of the Lord – for He made these instruments, these choristers with their voices. It is a miracle to sing; it is a miracle to work with singers in a choir. It is the first Sunday of the season for the adult choir, and in the evening – Choral Evensong.

All music is a miracle. I was glad of the reminder this morning.

No comments: