Sunday, August 30, 2015

As a chalice cast of gold

Again, we sang one of the hymns by Thomas Troeger with tune by Carol Doran, “As a chalice cast of gold.”

The hymn was new to the congregation, so I used it for an improvised prelude at the choral service on the organ. It forms the A section of an A-B-A form, with the opening hymn, St. Denio (Immortal, invisible) as the B section. Here is the improvisation.

The artwork begins with a Salvador Dali painting. The second, “The Chalice” by Morris Graves (1910-2001), I found very striking – it is as if the chalice is filled with light, perhaps a galaxy. He was a painter in the Pacific Northwest, much influenced by Zen Buddhism and Asian art.

I will share with you also an example of how hymn playing and improvisation should be done: Healey Willan, at the church of St. Mary Magdalene, Toronto: Hymn (Ye watchers and ye holy ones) and concluding improvisation

He takes the hymn with a much slower tempo than any modern organist would dare attempt – that was apparently the style at his parish. There is another YouTube clip of Willan playing “Hail thee, festival day” as a processional, and it takes somewhat over twelve minutes. Most clergy would have a conniption.

But the improvisation... I would like to play like this when I grow up. Notice the intimate relation between the hymn tune and the improvisation, and the grandeur.

I gather from the comments to these clips that nowadays, hardly anyone attends St. Mary Magdalene. I wonder what has happened to them in the fifty years or so since Willan's time.

At a choir dinner on Saturday, one of the choristers said that she did not know any of the hymns we have sung over the past year. I hear similar comments frequently from people who move here from other churches, including Episcopal parishes – they don't know the hymns. It is a stark reminder that my musical work in this place is but a leaf in a windstorm, a storm that seems to be carrying away all that is worthwhile - including such things as these fine hymns by Troeger and Doran that I have sought to keep alive. I will soon be gone, and what will become of it all?

That is not my concern; I can only do my work, here and now.
I see that all things come to an end,
But your commandment has no bounds. (Psalm 119:96)

No comments: