Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Day After the Epiphany

The Magi have “departed into their own country another way” (St. Matthew 2:12). The shepherds have returned to their work, “glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen” (St. Luke 2:20).

What of us?

Last night, we heard the magnificent Lessons from the Eucharist for the Epiphany, one of the Seven Principal Feasts of the Church. The Rector climbed a ladder and blessed the door of the church with a chalk inscription. She later announced the Date of Easter and its related Holy Festivals and Fasts. The ladies washed the dishes from dinner. Everyone went home; I locked the church, turned out the lights.

What next? How do we go on from here?

I spent part of this day helping my fellow-laborers in Christ (John and Nora) take down the Christmas decorations in the church. This used to be a community project by the parish; it has now fallen to the staff, and I did not want it to fall solely upon John, our Sexton. We took down the wreaths, removed the bows and packed them away, threw out the greenery, removed the fake electric candles from the windows, boxed up the figures from the Nativity creche (including the Angel, who got lost in the next room and never made it to the Stable).

It was Holy Work, and not just from helping my friends (instead of doing the work proper to my profession). It was a Transition, a Fresh Start. When I mentioned this to Nora, she said that many people have sensed these days as such a transition, a “de-toxification” from the rigors of Advent and Christmas. That makes sense to me: I have hardly accomplished anything since my essay last week, despite having the Gift of several days when I should have made some progress.

Much work lies ahead. From here, the path runs straight ahead to the River Jordan, and from there deep into the Desert, where Satan awaits, but where also the Angels minister to us (St. Mark 1:13).

This day is like standing at the starting line. I am not ready, but I need only follow my Captain, one step at a time, and go where He has led.

----
It is late for Christmas music, but here is my improvisation from Sunday, on "What child is this" and "O come, all ye faithful."

The music of Advent and Christmas can be a way that we, like St. Mary, ponder these things in our hearts. She never forgot those eventful days and months, nor should we.


No comments: