Saturday, November 30, 2013

St. Andrew's Day

I have little time today, but I wish to commend to you a little-known hymn by Fred Pratt Green, titled "In honour of St. Andrew."

It does not appear at Hymnary.org, which implies that it has not been published in a U.S. or Canadian hymnal, and it is a copyrighted text, so I cannot give more than a snippet. But it is number 149 in the volume "The Hymns and Ballads of Fred Pratt Green" (Hope Publishing Company). From the middle stanzas:

Though some were favoured more than he,
And he was fourth, and they 'the three',
Yet Andrew was content.
Would I were such a saint!

Of him they said, both Jew and Greek:
'Ask Andrew, if it's Christ you seek'.
He knew why they were sent.
Would I were such a saint!
(copyright © 1969 by Hope Publishing Co., All rights reserved)

I am a member of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew, and look to Andrew for encouragement, especially in the work of rolling up one's sleeves and being a hard-working "fisher of men" (c.f. Matthew 4:19), without regard for what people might think.

"Would I were such a saint!"


No comments: