Saturday, June 2, 2012

Addendum

Upon reflection, it is clear that the playing of the organ works of Bach is not the only reason I exist. I left the previous essay as it was, for it is indicative that this is how I felt by the end of a long day of practice; I was entirely caught up in the music. There are other reasons: in order to add my voice to the prayers of Holy Mother Church in the Daily Office, especially Choral Evensong; to encourage others, especially my wife and friends (and in a small way, those of you who read these pages).

Not least, I exist in order to do my part in preparing the choristers and others committed to my care for that great and final Day through the disciplines of choral rehearsal, congregational hymns, service music, and Psalmody. We shall hear of this tomorrow at Evensong:

Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour unto him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her it was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. (Revelation 19:7-9)

No comments: