Friday, September 16, 2011

RSCM 2010 revisited

Weezer posted this YouTube clip, from last year's RSCM course:

Kyrie, from Messe Solennelle (L. Vierne)

That, my friends, would be us. In that place. Singing.
Soli Deo gloria.

Here is an account of one aspect of that day. Listening to the recording brings back the sound of Jenna, Kyle, and Meara singing beside me that morning on the risers “with spirit, excellent diction, musical phrasing, and tone so beautiful as to melt my heart.” And Laura, in her first Course since her auto accident. And Mike, Mark and Spencer in the row behind me on tenor. And the fine elderly Roman Catholic African-American brother in the parking lot afterwards, chatting with Judith and me about our Lord and our Blessed Virgin Mary and how good it was to be Christians together.

And myself, singing Alto (I am in the back row in the picture). I do not expect that I will do that again, for in the year since that course, I find that I can no longer reliably sing alto for extended periods. I hinted at this in the passage linked above, for my voice was pretty much gone by Evensong that day in 2010. Between then and the 2011 Course, I made an effort to sing the Daily Office in my alto voice, and to work on it in my daily vocal warmups. But it got worse instead of better, and I believe that it is the result of old age. I was glad that there were strong female altos at this year's course to carry the load, and glad to sing tenor.

I will be sixty in a few years. I wonder how many RSCM Courses I have left wherein I can be a contributor and not a burden. I hope I have the sense to step aside when the time comes.

But that time is, Lord willing, not yet.
O God, you have taught me since I was young, *
and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.

And now that I am old and gray-headed, O God, do not forsake me, *
till I make known your strength to this generation
and your power to all who are to come. (Psalm 71:17-18)

No comments: