Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Tonight is the eve of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, which Anglicans usually refer to as the Feast of Saint Mary the Virgin. It is a high and holy day.

The old office hymns for the Blessed Virgin Mary are the most beautiful of the entire Gregorian repertoire. It is, I think, because these old saints loved her so much. Here are some of my favorites:

Ave, maris Stella
Salve, Regina
Quem terra, pontus, aethera
Ave, Regina coelorum
Regina coeli
and most of all, Ave Maria

The BCP service of Compline omits the Marian hymn that ought to follow the Nunc Dimittis and its antiphon. I find it proper to end the day with thoughts of Our Lady, who looks upon her children around the world with the love of a mother, so I add it back in. I do not know the seasonal hymns by heart and I usually do Compline from memory, so I most often do the Ave Maria instead. And that suffices.

May the blessings and prayers of the Mother of God be with us all this night, and always.

No comments: