Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Next Year's Programme, and YouTube

I studiously avoid the YouTube links that friends and parishioners sometimes send to me in the e-mail. Life is short.

But I might have to change my mind. Over lunch today, I began considering what I might play next year for a Lenten Meditation if they invite me back. It is a good opportunity to play large-scale pieces from the French Symphonic school that I could never do on our little Pilcher here in the parish, and would in any event be out of place in the liturgy. If I could select a piece, get it fingered, do the registrations over at the Congregational Church, and give it a First Workout by the end of summer, I would be in much better shape than I was this time, and I might play better.

One possibility is the Symphonie-Passion of Marcel Dupré. It is thirty minutes, a bit over the twenty-five that is expected, but within the bounds of a noontime programme. I have a copy of the score, purchased years ago at an AGO chapter used music sale and never played either by me or (from the looks of it) its previous owner.

In doing an internet search for more information about it, I encountered several YouTube performances, and listened to one of the final movement (of four), herewith linked.

The instrument is the Cavaille-Coll at St. Sulpice, a much larger instrument than Franck's at St. Clothilde but in the same style. I love the consoles of these instruments, with their rows of stop knobs on each side. The scene in the video is typical, even for Sunday services in these churches – the instruments are in rear galleries, and the Organist is usually surrounded by friends, students, admirers, visiting organists, and others as she plays, all unseen from down in the church.

It was uncanny to listen to the video, turning the pages of my score at the same time as the Organist's – for my copy is indeed the same as hers, published by Alphonse Leduc. And I admire the Organist's concentration; it is obvious that she is focused on the task at hand.

I do not know if I will play this piece; it would fit the Lenten season, the time allotted, and the instrument at the Congregational Church very well, but I do not yet love it enough. That might come if I get into working on it. And there are other options; I am considering the Tournemire Improvisation on Victimae Paschali laudes – but it is only about seven minutes. I could play one of the Symphonies by Widor or Vierne – but they lack any obvious connection with the Lenten season. Another possibility in a different direction is Franz Liszt's Variations on Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen. I have the score to this, likewise from a used music sale. It is about 17 minutes and could combine with something quiet to make a twenty-five minute program. And I have never played any of the large Liszt organ works.

Nonetheless, I am delighted to find the likes of this on YouTube. It is not merely a way to waste time; it is potentially a useful tool for my work.

No comments: