Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sunday best

The following is what I have written as a draft for my monthly column in the church newsletter. I am posting it here first because I am not at all certain that I should submit it, not least because I am the least likely person to talk about clothing. I have no eye for it, no sense of style or appropriateness. Most of all, I do not wish to pass judgment on anyone. Nonetheless, I think I have a point worth making.

Comments?


----
The days when church attendance meant suit, white shirt and tie, or dress with hat and gloves, are long gone. "Come as you are" is the modern watchword, along with "Casual" and "Comfortable." On the whole, these changes are probably for the best; no one should be excluded from worship, treated with disrespect, or caused to feel unwelcome because of their attire (James 2:1-9). But in our zeal to make church comfortable and welcoming, something has been lost.

Sunday, the Lord's Day, is special. For generations, people have put on their "Sunday best" to go to church. Even in times of hardship such as the Great Depression, when clothing was hard to come by, mothers tried to lay aside something nicer than "everyday" for their families to wear on Sunday. It is an aspect of the Christian observance of the commandment to "remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy" -- that is, set aside from the rest of the week (Exodus 20:8).

One need not spend much money in order to "dress up" for church; it can be done with thrift store purchases. And one must diligently avoid comparing people on the basis of their clothing. This includes comparing oneself to others, either positively or negatively. The point, rather, is that we are fellow-citizens with the saints and the household of God (Ephesians 2:19), and we should dress accordingly.

I am not calling for a return to the old days of shoehorning unwilling children into stiff and uncomfortable clothing that they dare not get dirty or torn. But for those not in the habit of "dressing up" for church, I suggest an experiment: next Sunday, wear something that is special, something that makes this day different from other days. It may be a single article of clothing, or a necklace, or a bracelet, so long as it is something with meaning. See what happens.

2 comments:

Raisin said...

I love the invitation in the last paragraph. And after all, you aren't telling people to get fussy and formal. It might be fun to see if we notice anything different next Sunday.

Publish and Parish said...

I too appreciated the last paragraph's invitation. Your draft was thought-provoking. It gave me much to muse over at church yesterday (in a good way). But I'm still going to wear my jeans to Eucharist. *grins*